Located in the west of the Great Mosque in Huajue Lane, Xi'an Daxuexi Lane Mosque is also called West Great Mosque. It is located on the west of Daxuexi Lane, facing the Great Mosque. In a rather large scale covering an area of 6,000 square meters with a construction area of 2,700 square meters, Xi'an Daxuexi Lane Mosque is the second largest mosque in Xi'an after the Xi'an Great Mosque.
Daxuexi Lane Mosque was constructed in the year of 705 during the Tang Dynasty, being one of the oldest mosques in Xi'an. The mosque had been continuously renovated between the Yuan and Ming Dynasty.
This mosque is consisted of architectures of Arabic style. Main buildings of Daxuexi Lane Mosque include prayer hall, Xuanli tower, Bangke building, imam office, Shengxin tower, screen wall, courtyards, shower room and other facilities. Pavilions, platforms, halls and towers are appropriately laid out inside the mosque getting a featured and artistic effects.
Opposite the gate of the mosque, there stands a big screen wall which is decorated with paintings and carvings. Shengxin Pavilion is one of the main buildings of the Daxuexi Lane Mosque, which was built during Song Dynasty. It is solemn and quaint, standing out from other buildings in the mosque. Followed by north-south tablets pavilion, and there is a well known "Zheng He Monument”in the south tablets pavilion, surrounded by stone fence.
The the prayer hall of the mosque covers an area of 600 square meters and is capable to accommodate 500 people for prayer service at a time. A quite magnificent plaque is found in the hall. Exquisite carvings of ancient Arabic letters could be found in the prayer hall.
Daxuexi Lane Mosque was enlisted as a cultural site under the protection of the Shaanxi Province in 1956. Now it has been one of the major attractions in Xi'an.